CMO, pine trees alongside river

Analysis

Holiday insights for marketers

We’re at that time of year when retailers are bracing themselves for the holiday rush. Marketers are busy implementing their campaigns, hoping to break through the noise of the season and their competition. So, what are customers looking for as 2015 comes to a close?

This year marks the thirtieth year that Deloitte’s Retail & Distribution practice has conducted our annual consumer holiday survey. We are pleased to share this year’s findings in order to provide retailers with insights into this season’s holiday shopper along with guidance for navigating the rapidly evolving retail landscape. Below are just a few of this year’s survey findings:

  • Consumer sentiment has rebounded to its highest level in the past fifteen years, signaling strong potential for the season ahead.
  • Final moments–such as the check-out process–matter more than first impressions when it comes to store associate interaction during the in-store experience.
  • Consumers plan on making this year’s holiday about themselves and their family. Savvy retailers can capitalize on consumers’ desire to be good to self and family this year, by incorporating themes that reflect this consumer value into both their messaging campaigns and their implementation strategies–e.g., across products, merchandising, and curation.
  • A significant proportion (43 percent) of consumers plan to buy products online and then pick up in-store. An even greater proportion (72 percent) plan to take advantage of retailer’s free shipping offerings.
  • In terms of getting consumers in the door, price still matters, but merchandising and referrals also do the trick.
  • While over half (57 percent) of a consumer’s mind is made up before they enter the store, retailers can potentially influence the other 43 percent.

That’s a lot of interesting data to consider–but is there enough time to change your holiday campaigns in time to make a difference? Yes, there is. In addition to our report, we’ve compiled a quick guide to putting this data to use right away. Check out our article, Holiday retail outlook: Engage customers by embracing these key disruptors, to get some quick tips for how you can put these insights to work.

For deeper insights, we encourage you to review our full article and infographic as you prepare for the holiday season–and the year ahead.

Wishing you all the best this holiday season,

Rod Sides
Vice chairman and US Retail & Distribution leader

Published on November 8, 2015

Did you find this informative?

Related topics